NCAA questions USF

An NCAA investigator visited USF last week to determine if the Bulls will face penalties in the case of Greg Brittian.

Associate Director of Infractions Diane Dennis spent a day on campus sometime last week conducting interviews, Associate Athletics Director Steve Horton said Friday.

Brittian, a senior on the men’s basketball team, was suspended for the season in August when an internal investigation revealed he had committed academic fraud by turning in a research paper that he hadn’t written. Two athletics department interns were cited in the report. One resigned, and the other was placed on a six-month probation. The NCAA notified the university by letter March 27 that it was planning an inquiry.

Horton said Dennis’ interviews failed to bring forth any new information.

“No surprises,” Horton said. “And I hate surprises.”

USF should have a better idea of what its fate is in a couple of weeks after Dennis writes her report. The report will then go before the Committee on Infractions to determine whether USF committed a major infraction or a secondary violation.

A secondary infraction would carry with it a written notice from the NCAA and, perhaps, a $500 fine.

Horton said he believes the committee will find the Bulls guilty of a secondary violation.

Should the committee rule the incident a major infraction, the Bulls would get the opportunity to go before the committee to argue their case for reducing the penalty to a secondary violation. A major infraction could land USF on probation or result in a loss of scholarships.