Hidalgo governor will discuss immigration

In the past decade, more than 10,000 people have migrated to Clearwater from Ixmiquilpan in the state of Hidalgo in Mexico. The migrant workers who have integrated in the downtown area through the years have helped revitalize Clearwater.

Today, speaker Manuel Angel Nunez Soto, the governor of Hidalgo, will present his views on immigration as it affects both those in the United States and in Hidalgo. Nunez Soto will discuss what his office is currently doing to support the migrants through immigration policy.

The lecture, “Mexico-U.S. Relations at the Crossroads: Implications for Immigration Policy,” will be held at 1 p.m. today in the USF Library Special Collections Department.

Each month, an estimated $2 million to $4 million in remittances is sent from Clearwater to Hidalgo, said Maria Crummett, the interim director for Latin American and Caribbean Studies. Hidalgo matches the money sent in from Clearwater with funds that are utilized for the needs of the community through the building of roads and schools. Support is also given to the migrants living in the United States.

“For every dollar that comes into the state, the state will match funds one to one,” Crummett said.

Nunez Soto communicates and works in a partnership with the U.S. local and national governments to address immigration issues. Crummett said the Clearwater city officials, police department, immigrant organizations, social and religious services meet with the Hidalgo state government on a regular basis to support the community ties between Ixmiquilpan and Clearwater.