McGaffagan’s achievement tops track highlights

The USF women’s indoor track and field team continued to rewrite the record books at the Cannon IV Classic Friday and Saturday in Indianapolis.

Two school records fell during the weekend, and junior Alexis McGaffagan accomplished something no other USF track and field athlete had ever done.

McGaffagan, who was competing in the pentathlon for the first time in her career, qualified for the U.S. Track and Field National Championships in Raleigh, N.C., with a second-place finish at the Cannon IV Classic.

The pentathlon consists of the 60-meter high hurdles, high jump, long jump, shot put and the 800-meter run. In the pentathlon, McGaffagan also broke her own school record in the high jump, clearing 5 feet, 8-¾ inches.

“This was a great meet with a lot of great performances,” USF coach Greg Thiel said. “This gets us ready for conference.”

Along with McGaffagan, Bente General also set a new record in the mile run. General finished in 4:47.10, three seconds faster than Jolene Williams’ record, set in 2001. General’s time was good enough for second place.

Dayana Octavien also had a good meet, joining Chandra Brewer as provisional qualifiers for the NCAA Championships. Octavien qualified in the 20-pound weight throw with a toss of 61 feet, 3 inches, which was good enough for first place.

This was the last meet for the Bulls before the Conference USA Championships in Houston, Feb. 28-March 1.

“I think we’re ready (for conference) for the most part,” Thiel said. “We just need to raise our intensity level in practice (the next two weeks).

“But the team we’re going to field at conference has a really good shot at winning.”