Bulls to play Lone Star doubleheader

After a four-match homestand, the USF women’s soccer team will be hitting the road as it takes on Texas foes TCU and Houston.

Riding on the line is a berth in the Conference USA tournament.

Out of the 14 teams in the conference, only eight go on to the C-USA tournament Nov. 6-9. As of October 17, the Bulls stand at No. 12 with a 1-4-1 conference record and 5-7-1 record overall. USF has four points in the standings and will need a couple victories to stay in the hunt.

After a tough 1-0 loss to Tulane last Friday, the Bulls disposed of Memphis with ease, 2-0. USF needs to continue its winning ways, as both TCU and Houston are in the conference.

TCU dropped both of its contests last week 3-1 and 5-3, respectively, to Southern Mississippi and UAB. They come in with a 2-9-4 record.

The Horned Frogs are led by senior Nicole Carman and sophomore Laura Greenberg. Carman has collected five goals and three assists for a total of 13 points, while Greenberg has tacked on three goals and an assist for nine points. Junior goalkeeper Ruth DeJong has had a tough year, giving up 30 goals for a 2.21 goals against average, compiling a 2-8-3 record.

The Horned Frogs got the best of the Bulls last year 4-3.

Houston comes in with a 6-6-2 record, 2-2-2 in conference. Houston earned a C-USA berth last year with a 8-9-1 record and 6-4-0 in the conference.

Leading the Cougars is junior Nicole Aubuchon and sophomore transfer Alison Sinclair. Aubuchon is a three-year starter, making the All-Conference team in 2000. Sinclair was a defender at Clemson in 2001, as the Tigers rolled to a 19-3-1 record and finished in the top 10 nationally.

The Cougars defeated USF last year 2-1 in double overtime, and they lead the all-time series 3-2-0.

With five wins for the year, already eclipsing last year’s four win mark, the Bulls have a chance to run the table and finish the year with nine wins. Senior Tia Opliger has five goals and one assist and is on track to make All-Conference for the first time since 2000. Opliger redshirted in 2001 after breaking her ankle.

Sophomores Rachel Thjomoe and Kim Martins and freshmen Rachel Ross and Berna Breirem each have two goals. Fresh off her third shutout of the year against Memphis on Sunday, sophomore Breck Bankester now has a 1.55 GAA and 46 saves.