Singlesí success for Bulls

This past weekend, the USF menís tennis team played against schools such as the University of Miami, Mississippi State University and host, University of Florida, at the 2002 Gator Invitational.

The USF team started the tournament Friday afternoon against UM and UF by winning five out of six singles matches. Federico Barton, a freshman from USF, defeated Jordan Dolberg from UF 6-2, 6-4.

Another freshman that is showing promise on the court is Juan Barragan, who also won his singles match against Zachary Hood from UM.

In addition, the USF team captain, Nadim Naser, defeated his opponent, UMís Eric Hetchman, after a grueling three-set match (6-4, 5-7, 7-5).

Nonetheless, the USF team presented top-ranked teams, such as UF, plenty of competition as the Bulls won two out of four doubles matches.

Paco Antelo, a returning player from last year, and Renato Silveira defeated the Golub/Purcell team from the University of Miami (8-4.)

ìPaco (Antelo) needs to step it up this year,î USF coach Don Barr said.

On Saturday, the second day of the tourney, the USF team struggled, as they were not able to win but any singles matches.

ìHalf the team is new Ö [we] were not prepared for the high level of tennis of the top- ten, but [we] were able to keep focus throughout the tourney,î Barr said.

On Sunday morning, the USF menís tennis team finished the Gator Invitational with respectable scores.

ìIt was a good learning experience,î Barr said of the tournament.

The freshman stepped it up on the tourneyís final day, as Barragan and Barton won their individual singles matches and also won as a team against Le Bicard and Armstrong from Mississippi State University 8-6.

On a losing note Sunday, senior Jorge Escallon dropped a three-set match to Floridaís Trey Johnson 6-3, 3-6, 6-4.

Contact Vanessa Garnica at oraclesports@yahoo.com