Last shot to qualify for track and field

Three members of the USF track and field team will travel to Atlanta this weekend to compete in the Georgia Tech Reebok Invitational. Chandra Brewer, Dayana Octavien and Stephan Ketterl will make the trip in efforts to qualify for the NCAA Championships held in two weeks.
“It’s a last chance meet. This will give them a final chance to qualify,” said coach Greg Thiel.
Brewer and Octavien provisionally qualified earlier this season but will need to improve their marks to get an invitation to the national meet. The NCAA Championship will take the top 21 to 22 athletes in each event.
Currently, Brewer is ranked 26th in the nation in the shot put with a throw of 15.54 meters. Octavien is ranked 34th in the discus throw with a throw of 50.92 meters.
Stephen Ketterl also has one more chance to qualify in the high jump. According to Thiel, Ketterl will need a jump of around 7-feet, 1 1/2-inches in order to qualify. Ketterl’s season best is 6-feet, 11-inches, although his personal best saw him clear seven feet.
Tara Quinn and Jimmy Baxter have secured their spots in the championship meet. Quinn is currently ranked No. 3 in the 10,000 meters with an automatic qualifying time of 16:32.17.
Baxter is currently ranked number two in the nation in the high jump, successfully clearing 7-feet, 4-inches.