Bulls face Hatters again

South Florida baseball will face Stetson tonight as the Bulls look to rebound from their second straight two-of-three loss weekend series.

USF lost the bookends of its three-game series at Cincinnati this past weekend after taking last Tuesday’s game against UCF. The Bulls are 4-4 in the last eight games since ending a five-game winning streak, the longest the team has had since 1999.

Stetson is ranked in three national Division I polls, ranking 24th in the Collegiate Baseball poll and 25th in both the Baseball Weekly/ESPN and Baseball America polls.

The Hatters are not unknown to the Bulls. South Florida started its season with two straight losses to the Hatters Feb. 9-10. Since the Bulls’ lackadaisical start of three losses (two losses to Stetson and a loss to Bethune-Cookman) for the first time since the 1998 season, their current status doesn’t find them struggling in the regular season. With a record thus far of 21-15, the Bulls are far ahead of the pace they set in the last few seasons.

However, the Bulls now find themselves in need of wins of any kind as they travel to East Carolina this weekend, with the Pirates ahead of the Bulls in the Conference USA rankings.

The Hatters’ bats are alive, leading Stetson to a 31-5 record. Stetson is currently on a 12-game winning streak and being led at the plate by Chris Westervelt with 12 home runs, two of which came off Bulls pitchers’ in the season opener.

Jarrett Guthrie