Greenberg to stay

After interviewing at Oregon State on Sunday, USF men’s basketball coach Seth Greenberg has decided to remain with the Bulls.

“My wife, Karen, and I left Corvallis very impressed with the University and with the athletic department,” Greenberg said. “I feel that Oregon State has the potential to reclaim its outstanding basketball tradition.

“However, at the same time, I also believe that we have much more to accomplish at South Florida. We have built a strong program, and we are on track to achieving even greater success.”Monday’s Tampa Tribune named Greenberg the favorite for the Oregon State job, which was vacated by Ritchie McKay, now the coach at New Mexico.

Greenberg has a 93-86 record in six seasons at USF, including a 19-13 record last season, equaling the third most wins in a season in school history. The Bulls advanced to the National Invitation Tournament, losing 98-92 to Ball State in the first round on March 12.

In six seasons at Long Beach State, Greenberg was 105-70, including two NCAA Tournament berths. He earns a base salary of $140,000 and is under contract through the 2004-05 season.”It is certainly a compliment to coach Greenberg and the job that he’s done that other institutions are interested in his talents,” Athletic Director Lee Roy Selmon said. “I’m happy to hear that he has made the decision to stay at USF. I look forward to his continued commitment to building a highly competitive program.”

Staff Report