Editorial: UP and Physical Plant doing their best

The burden of crime, theft in particular, seems unavoidable at USF.

In the same week the University Police announced that they were giving out the Club to students with cars topping the most-stolen-vehicle list, free of charge, attention is brought to the theft of projectors from the campus.

Theft from the university hurts the pockets of all the students; unfortunately, the police cannot catch every criminal.

Like some of the cars on the most-stolen-vehicle list, the projectors are a hot commodity. They can be used with home audio/video equipment, making them valuable.

Like the Club that UP gave out, the efforts of Physical Plant workers to design and patent an anti-theft device for the projectors is a great effort toward keeping USF’s property where it belongs – on campus.

Like Mitch Fields, associate director for Physical Plant, said, “We want to provide services to USF to reduce the number of thefts. However, it will not prevent someone from tearing the equipment from the ceiling, it will just take extra time.”

The criminals involved obviously do not care about the added costs to students’ tuition when the university’s property is stolen.

Upgrades for securing access to the rooms and improved anti-theft devices on all the audio-visual equipment are just two examples.

The university cannot stand to let these expensive projectors continue being stolen, especially since they cost upwards of $3,500 a piece.

As much as the university can and is doing to deter criminals, the fact remains that no matter how good your police and workers are, crime can still occur.

The police and Physical Plant are taking steps to deter criminals as much as possible.