Briefs: Left-handed pitcher Gloger transfers to USF

Pitcher Ryan Gloger is transferring to USF from national runner-up Stanford. Gloger, a Prep All-American in 1999 at Jesuit High, saw limited action in two seasons with the Cardinal. As a freshman, the left-hander pitched 3-2/3 innings in four appearances, including one start. Last season, Gloger only pitched one inning.

“Ryan is a big addition to our program,” said USF coach Eddie Cardieri of the 6-foot-3-inch Gloger. “He didn’t get to pitch a lot at Stanford so he is somewhat of an unknown at the college level but in the Cape Cod League he has done very well.”

Gloger posted a 4-2 record and a 1.72 ERA for the Brewster Whitecaps of the Cape Cod League last summer. So far this summer, he is 1-0 after three starts, with 19 strikeouts, two walks and no runs allowed in 17-2/3 innings.

“My goal is to be the Friday night starter (at USF),” Gloger said. “I think that’s everyone’s goal. I know, though, that I have to earn that spot but that’s where I want to be and I think that’s realistic. “USF is the place for me and I wish school started tomorrow.”

Gloger joins four other USF signees from the spring signing period: right-handed pitchers Mike Choquette and Mike Yeager, left-handed pitcher Paul Griffin and outfielder Kris Howell.

Weintraub signs with Mets

USF signee Jason Weintraub has agreed to a deal with the New York Mets. The 6-foot-4-inch right-handed pitcher, scheduled to attend USF in the fall, was drafted in the sixth round in June’s amateur draft.

According to The Tampa Tribune, Weintraub’s deal is worth $200,000 plus college tuition. He is expected to join the Mets’ rookie team in Kingsport, Tenn., and could make his first start by July 14.