Zimmerman websites distort trial

Published: Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Updated: Thursday, November 1, 2012 13:11

It has been more than eight months since Trayvon Martin was fatally shot walking in a Sanford neighborhood. While an outpour of support came for the 17-year-old, the man accused of the crime, George Zimmerman has also received much support from a website set up by his lawyer, which enables people to donate to him.  
On Monday, Florida Circuit Judge Debra Nelson denied state prosecutors’ request for a gag order that would prohibit public discussion of case information. A gag order could have stopped Zimmerman’s website and social media pages started by defense lawyer Mark O’Mara from disclosing information about the case.

This was State Attorney Bernie de la Rionda’s third attempt to limit the amount of pre-trial publicity.

The latest attempt for a gag order failed to prove that the content conflicts with accepted Florida Bar Association rules and will not, in the court’s view, sway potential unbiased jurors.

Regardless of the power that the court has over Zimmerman and his lawyer, the websites and their content make a mockery of the U.S. judicial system.

Any person in an open trial process should not be able to publish details about his or her case online.  
Though Zimmerman may think he has been condemned by the media before he has been legally convicted, someone accused of second degree murder should not be able to put out a public relations campaign.

On his website, Zimmerman posted a video of himself thanking his followers for their donations and for their support through the process along with stating, “This is our website, it’s not my website. … I hope it can be the website to provide facts.”

On the website O’Mara created, he posted, “I’d like to ask if you and other supporters could help us scour the web and, strange as it may sound, send us links to the most potentially questionable statements we have made during this process,” in an attempt to better defend Zimmerman.

The websites try to make someone who has already admitted to killing an unarmed teenager seem like a victim himself.

Whether Zimmerman’s “stand your ground” defense holds up is up to the court to decide.

However, it is hard to feel sorry for a man that has already criminalized himself, but is trying to justify his actions in a way that is impossible to prove. The websites only add to the creeping suspicion that Zimmerman needs to sway the general population’s opinion of him to believe that he is not what he has already admitted to being.

EDITOR'S NOTE: An earlier version of this story described Trayvon Martin as a 15-year-old, which is incorrect. He is 17 years old. The story has been updated to reflect the changes.

4 comments

Anonymous
Mon Nov 5 2012 06:08
I wonder If Trayvon was white would anyone really care. Trayvon was a thug looking for problems .......and he found one.
Anonymous
Sat Nov 3 2012 23:39
You people who are dumb enough to leave these ignorant comments attacking the writer of this piece with out an ounce of a clue to what this case is about is the true sign of the demise of our society. It shows that what you are mindless enough to read on facebook or other brain draining activitiy become the facts and instead of looking up the case you trash someone who is cleary trying to bring light to a difficult subject. FYI this is the opinion section, therefore if you are as intelligent as you people claim to be... then write a rebuttle. If you are not able to, then do not trash those who are capable of formulating an argument in regard to a high profile topic.
Anonymous
Wed Oct 31 2012 13:29
Fail,.."Self Defense" is not Murder in the second degree
learn the difference ,..wise up,..
Anonymous
Wed Oct 31 2012 07:31
"Zimmerman websites distort trial"?? - obviously not, the court did not feel this was the case, hence no gag order.

I fail to see you logic in stating that George Zimmerman does not have the right to defend himself against all of the BS the media (and obviously youself) has been dragging up about him, amd publishing for the world to see, without telling the entire story. The fact you published this garbage is proof that he is doing the right thing by using his site. He's not been proven guilty of any crime, and is supposed to be treated as such... innocent until proven guilty, remember?

If we left it up to people like you, the public would never know the truth. Most of you Martin supporters are still hung up on this being a case of a man stalking and killing a young boy for walking home from the store (thanks to NBC), when in real life, the evidence and eye witnesses seem to support that it is actually a case of a man having to defend his life from an attacker, and all he is guilty of is surviving the attack.