Women’s tennis kicks off fall season in Atlanta

Published: Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Updated: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 22:09

The USF women’s tennis team started its fall season with a strong performance in Georgia last weekend.

Junior Loreto Martinez and sophomore Paula Montoya came up big at the Southern Shootout in Atlanta, going a combined 5-1, including a 3-0 record from Martinez. Coach Agustin Moreno praised both of his players.

“It showed they’ve been working hard over the summer and that’s why they played well. It pays off,” Moreno said.

Martinez took down Chloe Smith of NC State on Sunday by scores of 6-0 and 6-3, while Montoya beat Christy Snipes, 6-1 and 6-2. The Bulls won three of the five matches played on Sunday’s shootout finale.

Both Martinez and senior Katie Vasenina will head to California this weekend, where they will play doubles in the Riviera All-American Championships in Palisades.

Athletics department hires Angelos

The USF Athletics department announced the hiring of Craig Angelos as the school’s new associate athletic director for Compliance Services. He will come to USF after holding the position of director of athletics at Florida Atlantic University since 2003. Angelos has also held positions as deputy athletic director at Indiana and senior associate athletic director at the University of Miami. Angelos will replace Steve Horton in that position.

“Steve Horton has served this athletic department extremely well over the last 15 years and we’ve been fortunate to have him as part of our leadership,” athletic director Doug Woolard said in a press release. “We’re fortunate that Steve will be available to assist Craig during this transition and serve USF on a department-wide basis until his retirement in December.”