Medical Authorities Spread the Word About Prediabetes

By NAPS (North American Precis Syndicate)
on December 5, 2018

Prediabetes can be reversed with healthy lifestyle changes. (NAPS)

(NAPSI)—One in three American adults now has prediabetes—a serious condition that often leads to type 2 diabetes. Yet 90 percent of them don’t know it. The good news is that with early diagnosis, prediabetes can be reversed through healthy lifestyle changes. Learning your risk is simple: visit DoIHavePrediabetes.org and take the one-minute risk test.

What Is Prediabetes?

Prediabetes is when your blood sugar levels are higher than normal but not high enough yet to be considered type 2 diabetes. Prediabetes can also lead to other health issues like heart attack and stroke. The key risk factors for prediabetes include being overweight, being physically inactive, having a parent or sibling with type 2 diabetes, or being over 40 years old.

An Urgent Message

More than 84 million Americans have prediabetes, and the number of adults diagnosed with diabetes has more than tripled over the past 20 years. Type 2 diabetes prevention is such an urgent need for our nation that two leading health organizations, the American Medical Association (AMA) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), have partnered with the Ad Council to raise national awareness. Together, they have built resources that help people know their risk and learn how to reverse prediabetes.

Do You Have Prediabetes?

Go to DoIHavePrediabetes.org and take a simple one-minute risk test to know where you stand. If you receive a high score, the next step is to confirm the diagnosis with your doctor and ask how to enroll in CDC’s National Diabetes Prevention Program.

CDC Programs Can Help

With early diagnosis, prediabetes can be reversed—and the best thing people can do is to join the CDC-led National Diabetes Prevention Program. This scientifically proven program is available in person or online across the United States to help people make healthy changes. Trained professionals share ongoing support and tips to help stay on track with healthy eating, physical activity, stress reduction and more. Research shows that through the program, you can lower your risk of developing type 2 diabetes by as much as 58 percent (71 percent if you’re over age 60).

Learn More

Learn more about prediabetes and find lifestyle tips and links to CDC’s National Diabetes Prevention Program at www.DoIHavePrediabetes.org.

clicktotweet “One in three American adults has prediabetes. This online test helps you find out your risk in under a minute. http://bit.ly/2Pmi9FN

On the Net:North American Precis Syndicate, Inc.(NAPSI)