Six Steps To Help Students Get Into, And Pay For, College

By NAPS (North American Precis Syndicate)
on November 1, 2018

A new kind of scholarship opportunity can help students get the education of their dreams. (NAPS)

(NAPSI)—Getting into college can seem complicated, even overwhelming—but help is available.

To support students and families, the College Board—the creator of the SAT and Advanced Placement—has launched a first-of-its-kind national scholarship program that serves as a simple college planning guide for all students. It explains what to do and when to do it.

These College Board Opportunity Scholarships lay out six simple steps that all students can take to get into college. Completing each step will earn a chance for a scholarship; completing all six will earn students a chance to win $40,000 for their college education.

These six steps help students plan by making a good starter college list, help them prepare so they can take their best shot and help them pay for college:

1. Build a College List—Students get started by exploring colleges they’re interested in.

2. Practice for the SAT—Students use Official SAT Practice on Khan Academy to help them get ready for test day.

3. Improve SAT Scores—Students show how practice pays off by improving their SAT score.

4. Strengthen College Lists—Students make sure their college list is a mix of academic safety, fit and reach schools.

5. Complete the FAFSA—Students fill out the free government form to apply for financial aid.

6. Apply to Colleges—Students apply to the schools they want to attend.

A Big Difference

One thing that makes these scholarships different from other programs is that they’re about how much students grow, not how high they score. They don’t require an essay or an application and don’t have a minimum GPA or SAT score requirement. Instead, the program rewards all students’ efforts and actions on their way to college. The more effort students put in and actions they complete, the more chances they have to earn a college scholarship.

The College Board is investing $25 million over five years. A total of $5 million is available for each graduating class, beginning with the class of 2020. All students are invited.

How To Sign Up

Students can sign up at www.CB.org/Opportunity and go to BigFuture to create a starter list of six colleges in which they’re interested. Just by making that list, they earn a chance for a $500 scholarship. Then, they can take the next step toward earning a $40,000 scholarship by going to SATPractice.org to receive free, personalized practice on Khan Academy.

clicktotweet The College Board Opportunity Scholarships offer six simple steps that all students can take to get into college. Completing each will earn students a chance for a scholarship; completing all six will earn a chance to win $40,000. http://bit.ly/2OYJWkm

On the Net:North American Precis Syndicate, Inc.(NAPSI)