'Hamilton' Inspires Youth In Foster Care

By NAPS (North American Precis Syndicate)
on May 10, 2018

Mary Iannuzzi gets ready for "Hamilton" with Chris, a student in Treehouse's Graduation Success program. (NAPS)

(NAPSI)—A generous donor recently opened up the worlds of theater, music and history to a group of deserving young people, especially picked for their passion and involvement in performing arts.

The Kids

Students in Treehouse’s Graduation Success program experienced the Tony Award−winning, hip-hop musical sensation “Hamilton.”

Treehouse gives youth in foster care a childhood and a future. The nonprofit has increased the extended graduation rate for youth in its program to 89 percent. Nationwide, less than 50 percent of youth in foster care earn diplomas.

Shayla, a high school junior who wants to pursue a career in theater, was overjoyed to learn about the tickets.

“I screamed. I started crying. I was on the ground hyperventilating,” she said. “I couldn’t even say thank you because I couldn’t breathe.”

The Show

The musical would prove to be everything Shayla hoped.

“The sets were beautiful, the costumes were gorgeous and the actors did an amazing job,” she said.

“Hamilton” is based on the story of the nation’s founding fathers and has one of Broadway’s most diverse casts. The national tour for 2018 will perform in 20 cities around the country.

The play’s creator, Lin-Manuel Miranda, cast white historical figures—including Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson—with African-American, Latino and Asian-American actors. This decision has inspired young theatergoers across the country, including Treehouse youth.

“The best part for me was that Chris, my student, could envision himself playing a number of amazing characters,” said Mary Iannuzzi, Treehouse Education Specialist.

The Organization

Treehouse is based in Washington, operates statewide and provides guidance to organizations serving youth in foster care all over the country.

Learn More

For further information or to make a donation yourself, visit www.treehouseforkids.org.

clicktotweet A generous donor recently gave tickets to the musical “Hamilton” to deserving Treehouse Graduation Success students with a passion for performing arts. Treehouse provides guidance to organizations serving youth in foster care all over the country. http://bit.ly/2I5tsn7

On the Net:North American Precis Syndicate, Inc.(NAPSI)