Parents More Optimistic About Education

(NAPSI—According to a recent EdChoice and Morning Consult poll, half of parents of school-aged children said they were very or somewhat comfortable with their children returning to school “right now.” However, when asked when they thought COVID-19 would be contained enough such that in-person education was safe, just 34 percent thought it would be before the summer. One in five thought in-person education would be safe at the beginning of the next academic year, while 30 percent said the pandemic would keep classrooms unsafe even later than that. Meanwhile, the share of school parents with a much more favorable opinion of homeschooling has risen.

…but not every day

In fact, many parents indicate substantial long-term interest in hybrid education. Among all school parents, roughly two in five report their children are learning entirely online, while the rest say their children are participating in at least some in-person education. It seems a mix of in-person and online education would appeal to families even after the pandemic—45 percent would most prefer their children learn 1-4 days at home and spend the remaining time in a learning environment outside the home. 

They’re also choosing choice

Support for school choice policies is also up. 

•Support for charter schools increased to 68 percent in February. Support from parents of school-aged children is especially high at 75 percent. 

•Young adults (72%) and Democrats (71%) are the two non-parent demographics most supportive of Educational Savings Accounts (ESAs). These let parents get public funds for private school, online learning programs, private tutoring, community college costs, higher education expenses and other approved customized learning services and materials. Middle-aged adults (70%), Black families (69%), and urbanites (69%) are also particularly supportive of ESAs. 

•There’s strong support for home­schooling in light of the pandemic. The share of Americans reporting COVID-19 has been “very disruptive” to their communities, family and household routines, and personal routines all rose.

EdChoice is a non-partisan, nonprofit organization that serves as the clearinghouse of information related to school choice research and policy in the United States.

On the Net:North American Precis Syndicate, Inc.(NAPSI)