The Hidden Side of Hemophilia: So Much More Than A Bleeding Disorder

on May 21, 2018

(NewsUSA) - Almost everyone has heard of hemophilia, a rare disease in which the blood fails to clot properly. But most people only think of bleeding when it comes to naming its symptoms.

In fact, at any given time, many people who have hemophilia or a bleeding disorder may struggle with a combination of dozens of symptoms, including daily pain, joint and mobility issues, anxiety, and depression. These symptoms represent the hidden side of hemophilia.

But symptoms aren't the only misunderstood aspect of hemophilia. Common misconceptions include that it's contagious and that it can be outgrown. In fact, hemophilia is a genetic disorder that requires lifelong management of all symptoms - the mental as well as the physical.

In a survey conducted by myhemophiliateam.com (a website dedicated to social networking, education, and online support for hemophilia patients and those who know them and care for them), approximately two-thirds (65 percent) of bleeding-disorder patients said they suffer from depression. The survey also found that more than half (56 percent) of patients regularly experience pain related to their condition. However, only 38 percent of those who reported pain said they feel their pain symptoms are being addressed. Chronic, untreated pain can promote depression and anxiety in hemophilia and bleeding-disorder patients.

Because of the complex nature of hemophilia and bleeding disorders, patients stand to benefit from choosing service providers that understand their unique challenges, such as National Cornerstone Healthcare Services (NCHS), a wholesaler and specialty pharmacy that specializes in hemophilia and bleeding disorders.

Specialty pharmacies go beyond the services provided by a traditional pharmacy, functioning as a valued member of a patient's care team by providing a comprehensive suite of services and expertise while allowing patients to experience the comfort, convenience, and independence that home infusion offers. In addition to providing discreet delivery of medications for the treatment of hemophilia, specialty pharmacies may provide reimbursement expertise, extensive patient resources, education, and support to help patients manage all their symptoms more effectively.

Since there's a lot to know when it comes to hemophilia and bleeding disorders, it's important to choose wisely when it comes to service providers. Working with a qualified specialty pharmacy can help provide services designed to treat the whole patient, including resources to help with anxiety, pain management, and mental health.

For more information about managing hemophilia and bleeding disorders, and to find out how NCHS can function as an extension of a hemophilia patient's health care team, visit www.nchswecare.com.