Amid Opioid Abuse Crisis, Back Pain Sufferers Look to Chiropractic Care
(NewsUSA) - Lower back pain, it's been said, is very democratic.
Meaning, tens of millions of people of all stripes -- from truck drivers to stock brokers -- experience it at some point in their lives, and the worst cases can be positively debilitating.
"You'd be a really uncommon person never to have had an episode of back pain," Chris Maher, a health researcher at the University of Sydney, told NPR.
But now there's a new wrinkle -- or, some would say, an opportunity.
With the country in the midst of an opioid abuse crisis, many of those sufferers now find themselves looking for alternatives to the potentially addictive -- and sometimes lethal -- prescription painkillers that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently urged physicians to dramatically curtail prescribing.
One favorite alternative? Drug-free chiropractic care, which has been praised for its"emphasis on your body's innate healing wisdoms."
Doctors of chiropractic are well-trained and highly educated, and use hands-on techniques to help enhance flexibility, muscle strength, and range of motion. Reflecting chiropractic's growing popularity, notes the Foundation for Chiropractic Progress' Dr. Sherry McAllister, most insurance and health plans cover its use.
To locate a nearby doctor of chiropractic, visit www.f4cp.com/findadoctor.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- As exams near, student stress levels soar
- Message to draftees: Don’t mess this up
- Bulls held scoreless in midweek loss to Stetson
- As need for cybersecurity grows, USF class offers solutions
- Florida should pass laws to help women
- Tampa continues to tackle public transportation issue
- Oracle sports staff tackles NFL mock drafts
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Streaming Content Box Cuts Your Cable and Costs
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain