USF student welcome bargains from Wormtown

Published: Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Updated: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 00:02

There are two ways to acquire fun, unnecessary trinkets for entertainment as a college student — pay excruciatingly high prices, or stake out a campus event and hunt for any sign of the word free. 

This week USF students found a wallet-friendly compromise to get some unique products — a haggling and bargaining system with the Wormtown Trading Company.

Incense, hacky sacks and saddlebags were sprawled out across multiple dingy, fold-out tables in the Student Services Breezeway outside the USF bookstore. The company’s main salesperson, Bryce Gundy, and University of North Florida student Jessica Seniger, stood attentively as students’ curiosities pushed them to ask about the products. 

Holding up a hacky sack, a student asked the price. 

“Ten dollars,” Gundy, who eventually took a few singles for the miniature beanbag, said. 

The goods range from mortar and pestle sets to tapestries and jewelry — all globally imported.

Fast forward to seven years later, and Gundy has broken off into her own sect of the now 12-year-old Wormtown Trading Company.

Joining her on campus is Seniger, who met Gundy when she visited UNF last week.

“I met up with her at a festival at UNF and she invited me to come help and travel,” Seniger said. “The drive down here was kind of long, but it was still in Florida.”

Gundy has traveled more miles in her seven-year adventure than she can remember, but said she feels like she always has items that interest
college-age people. 

“I’ve probably been to 20 or 25 schools all over the country, and I always go back to the same ones,” Gundy said. “I’ve traveled 900 miles in a day.”

Gundy, who lives and sells out of her van, said she is the only person in the company who sells full time and said the traveling lifestyle is generally a good gig to have. 

On Tuesday, Gundy and Seniger had one of the best days they’ve had at a college campus, attributing much of their success to the
receptiveness and curiosity of USF students.

“Today I more than doubled what I made yesterday,” Gundy said. 

The Wormtown Trading Company is on campus today and will have their usual assortment of unusual goods.