USF sails past Seton Hall in big road win

Published: Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Updated: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 01:01

The Bulls (13-5, 2-3) earned their second Big East conference win, 74-52, at Seton Hall (7-12, 2-4) on Tuesday night.

USF scored 30 points and had a shaky 34.5 percent shooting performance in the first half, but from then on, everything went smoothly for the Bulls. 

The Bulls sealed the victory by boosting their shooting percentage to 39.3 percent and scoring 44 points in the second half.

Seton Hall’s senior guard Brittany Morris and freshman forward Tabatha Richardson-Smith scored 15 points each, but their efforts could not match USF’s offensive onslaught.

USF’s scoring attack was anchored by senior guard Andrea Smith, who posted 21 points and sunk six of 15 shots.

This is a drastic improvement for Smith, who made just three of her 25 shot attempts with 10 points during the last game against Villanova

The Bulls’ budding players brought their best to the game as well.

Freshman forward Alisia Jenkins came down with six rebounds and scored 15 points, while freshmen guards Courtney Williams and
Shavontae Naylor combined for 18.

A loss would have placed the Bulls three games under .500 in the conference. The Bulls’ two-game road trip has come to a close and coach
Fernandez said he’s eager to prepare for the next game.

“I’m looking forward to getting back home,” he said. The Bulls now look to prepare for their home matchup against Marquette at 6 p.m. on Saturday.