USF readies for postseason

Published: Thursday, October 25, 2012

Updated: Thursday, October 25, 2012 08:10

After missing out on both conference and NCAA Tournament berths a season ago, the USF women’s soccer team will make its return to postseason play Sunday, with the advantage of a home crowd on its side.

Before ending the season with a 4-0 loss at Marquette, the Bulls sealed the second seed in the Big East Tournament, earning a first-round bye and a chance to host a quarter-final game.

USF’s opponent will be Louisville, a familiar foe the team faced a month ago at Corbett Soccer Stadium, when the Bulls settled for a 1-1 draw.

“I think the team played a really good game, but we set- tled for a tie,” coach Denise Schilte-Brown said. “Louisville is a great opponent with a lot of offensive skill, but I think we could have scored on a couple of more chances when we played. So the idea to go out and finish a game that we didn’t finish so well last time out is nice.”

The Bulls will look to get freshman keeper Christiane Endler back on track after a rough outing in the loss to Mar- quette. Before allowing four goals to the Golden Eagles, Endler and the USF defense had a four-match shutout streak, and had not allowed more than one goal in 11 consecutive matches.

On the offensive side of the ball, USF will be led by junior forward Sharla Passariello, who is tied for eighth in the Big East with seven goals and is ninth in the conference with 17 points.

Sunday’s game will start at 1 p.m., with both teams looking to qualify for a trip to Storrs,

Men’s Soccer looks to close out strong

The USF men’s soccer team will face a must-win situation for Big East Tournament qualification when it plays DePaul on Friday, a season after celebrating a division crown, first-round bye and tournament home game.

Though the Bulls are in fifth place in the Red Division and in position to qualify for the tournament, a loss to a reeling DePaul squad could end the team’s post-season hopes.

With just a one-point lead in the divisional standings, a USF loss or draw to the Blue Devils — who are 0-6-1 in conference play — would open up an opportunity for Villanova or Rutgers to qualify in place of the Bulls with a win.

USF and DePaul will begin their match on Friday at 1 p.m. in Chicago.