USF opens spring practice session

Published: Thursday, March 22, 2012

Updated: Thursday, March 22, 2012 16:03

Preparations for the 2012 football season officially went underway Wednesday morning, as the Bulls opened spring practice with a two-and-a-half-hour-long session.

The team was only working in shorts, jerseys and helmets for their first day back, but coach Skip Holtz said the level of first-day comprehension was higher than ever before due to the largest senior class he’s had in his three years on campus and the continuation of last year’s offensive and defensive systems.

“It’s nice when you’re out there with the same offense and defense for three years in a row,” he said. “As you step out there, everybody can execute everything. It’s not like square one where you’re trying to get in formations. I feel good about the amount of experience that’s out on that field right now.”

While the Bulls will be running the same primary defense they used last year, they’ll be doing it under a new coordinator — Chris Cosh.

Cosh served as defensive coordinator at South Carolina while Holtz was offensive coordinator there, and will learn USF’s system rather than teaching the entire defense his own.

“I asked him to learn our defense when he came in here,” Holtz said. “I don’t want 50 guys to have to learn a whole new defense. I’d rather ask one guy than 50. Chris is on board.”

Senior linebacker Sam Barrington said he welcomes the change in staff.

“Coach Cosh is doing a great job with us in my opinion, and I feel like he really will get me better as a player,” he said. “A lot of people tend to look at a change at coach or coordinator negatively, but I take nothing but positives out of it because you get a different coaching perspective every time you bring a new guy in."