Track and Field looks ahead to tough schedule

Published: Thursday, January 10, 2013

Updated: Thursday, January 10, 2013 01:01

The Bulls start what looks to be a challenging season this Saturday as the indoor track and field schedule begins in Birmingham, Ala. at the Crimson Tide Indoor Opener. 

The meet starts the Bulls’ six-meet season. Thirteen teams, including Florida, FSU, LSU and Texas will attend. 

“Those are some quality SEC/ACC teams,” coach Warren Bye said. “It’s very good competition to go into. Since October, we’ve been practicing, just working a lot on
conditioning and getting the kids ready. This first meet will just be a test to see where we’re at.” 

The Bulls enter the season with athletes such as senior sprinter Derrick Hopkins, who was
awarded Most Outstanding Male Performer at the Big East Championship in 2011, when he won the 60- and 200-meter dashes. 

Junior sprinter and jumper Marqueshia Stallworth will also add strength to the roster. Last year, Stallworth earned one of USF’s outstanding female field athletes of the year awards and two all-Big East honors.

Bye said the team looks forward to the meet, which will gauge the team’s efforts over the break and put them to the test.

“I think it will set up like a championship meet, honestly, with those schools.” Bye said. “The atmosphere is going to be like a championship meet even though it’s the start of the season.”

After returning from Alabama, the team will head to Indiana on Jan. 19 for the Notre Dame Invitational, then Kansas on Jan. 25 for the Jayhawk
 Classic and finally the Sykes-Sabock Challenge Cup in Pennsylvania on Feb. 2, two weeks before the Big East Championship.

“Sometimes down in the end of the season, more in the outdoor season in April, it gets tiring.” Bye said. “But in the first three or four weeks it’s not too bad.”

As the season begins, and the meets get tougher, coach Bye is eager to get a start on a tough schedule that can actually prove to be a positive.

“It’s set up really well for us.” Bye said. “We’re set to compete against the best programs in the country and get ready for the Big East Championship.”