University of South Florida Textbooks > Girls and Women in Stem

Girls and Women in Stem

ISBN:162396556X

Publisher:Information Age Publishing, Incorporated

Authors:Janice Koch, Barbara Polnick, Beverly Irby

Renting Options Buying Options

Girls and Women in Stem Description

Encouraging the participation of girls and women in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (Stem) remains as vital today as it was in the 1970s. . . . hence, the sub-title: “A Never Ending Story.” This volume is about ongoing advocacy on behalf of the future workforce in fields that lie on the cutting edge of society's future. Acknowledging that deeply embedded beliefs about social and academic entitlement take generations to overcome, the editors of this volume forge forward in the knowledge that these chapters will resonate with readers and that those in positions of access will learn more about how to provide opportunities for girls and women that propel them into Stem fields. This volume will give the reader insight into what works and what does not work for providing the message to girls and women that indeed Stem fields are for them in this second decade of the 21st century. Contributions to this volume will connect to readers at all levels of Stem education and workforce participation. Courses that address teaching and learning in Stem fields as well as courses in women's studies and the sociology of education will be enhanced by accessing this volume. Further, students and scholars in Stem fields will identify with the success stories related in some of these chapters and find inspiration in the ways their own journeys are reflected by this volume.