University of South Florida Textbooks > The Administration and Management of Criminal Justice Organizations

The Administration and Management of Criminal Justice Organizations 5th edition

Publisher:Waveland Press, Incorporated

Authors:Stan Stojkovic, John Klofas, David Kalinich

Renting Options Buying Options

The Administration and Management of Criminal Justice Organizations Description

In the current landscape of terrorism, record budget deficits, shrinking local tax revenues, the growing drug-offender population, and increased scrutiny of policing practices, criminal justice organizations face challenges never experienced before. Yet, much remains unchanged--criminal justice organizations serve people; they must operate efficiently and productively; they are expected to accomplish conflicting and multiple goals that are often defined by external constituencies; and they must deal with competing and conflicting internal constituencies.

The fifth edition of this ambitious collection continues with a representative sample of articles that reflect innovative ways of addressing ongoing issues faced by criminal justice administrators, managers, and employees. Fourteen articles new to this edition address central concerns of how criminal justice organizations function during very difficult times, questioning traditional methods and practices. Examples of the important topics examined in the new articles include: reintegrating offenders, diversity within police organizations, the potential for technology to require greater police accountability and better services, problem-oriented policing as a method of greater control, the "social construction" of juvenile offenders, mental health courts, and wrongful convictions.

This text is a dynamic and practical tool for anyone contemplating a career in criminal justice organizations. It offers well-researched, timely readings that provide foundational knowledge and inspire the foresight to consider all stakeholders when addressing issues confronting criminal justice organizations in our ever-changing world.

Title of related interest also from Waveland Press: Sylvia-Sylvia, Program Planning and Evaluation for the Public Manager, Fourth Edition (ISBN 9781577667780).