University of South Florida Textbooks > Special Education in Contemporary Society

Special Education in Contemporary Society 6th edition

Publisher:Sage Publications, Inc

Authors:Richard M. Gargiulo, Emily Bouck, Emily C. Bouck

Renting Options Buying Options

Special Education in Contemporary Society Description

2015 Recipient of the Textbook Excellence Award from the Text and Academic Authors Association (TAA)

The Sixth Edition of Richard Gargiulo’s well-respected Special Education in Contemporary Society: An Introduction to Exceptionality offers a comprehensive, engaging, and easy-to-read introduction to special education. Grounded in research and updated to reflect the most current thinking and standards of the field, the book provides students with the skills and knowledge to become successful teachers. Richard Gargiulo and new co-author Emily Bouck encourage a deep awareness and understanding of the human side of special education. Their book provides students a rare look into the lives of exceptional students and their families, as well as the teachers that work with exceptional persons throughout their lives. 

The new edition maintains the broad context and research focus for which the book is known, while expanding on current trends and contemporary issues to better serve both pre-service and in-service teachers of exceptional individuals. The text is organized into two distinct parts to offer students a truly comprehensive and humane understanding of exceptionality. In Part I, readers are provided strong foundational perspective on broad topics that affect all individuals with an exceptionality. In Part II, the authors engage students with thorough examinations of individual exceptionalities, and discuss historical, personal, and educational details of each exceptionality as it affects a person across the lifespan.