University of South Florida Textbooks > The Horla and Others: Guy de Maupassant's Best Weird Fiction and Ghost Stories

The Horla and Others: Guy de Maupassant's Best Weird Fiction and Ghost Stories

Publisher:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

Authors:Guy de Maupassant, Guy de Maupassant, M. Kellermeyer

Renting Options Buying Options

The Horla and Others: Guy de Maupassant's Best Weird Fiction and Ghost Stories Description

Before succumbing to the insanity that ravaged his later life, Guy de Maupassant established a reputation as France’s preeminent short story writer, an artist whose cynical and macabre visions paralleled those of Hoffmann and Poe, and directly influenced those of Ambrose Bierce, Mark Twain, and H.P. Lovecraft. His stories are nightmarescapes of psychopathy, corruption, and decadence, featuring a serial-killer judge, a maddening episode of cabin fever (which influenced The Shinning), a gruesome discovery during a night on the river, the inexplicable exodus of a man’s walking furniture, the famous invisible vampire, the Horla, werewolves, haunted rooms, neglected ghosts, and vivid affairs of necrophilia. This unique and unrivalled edition of de Maupassant’s best weird tales, fantasies, and mysteries includes critical introductions to each story, contextual information, and chilling illustrations that breathe life into his Gothic visions and bizarre fantasias. TALES INCLUDED in this ANNOTATED EDITION: The Dead Girl | He? | Am I Insane? | The Horla | Fear | The Inn | The Hand | The Grave | On the River | Magnetism | Diary of a Madman | The Apparition | The Flayed Hand | The White Wolf | A Night in Paris | Who Knows?