University of South Florida Textbooks > African Adventure and Adventurers

African Adventure and Adventurers

Publisher:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

Authors:G T Day Editor, G. T. Day, G. T. Day Editor, Alton E. Loveless, Alton E Loveless

Renting Options Buying Options

African Adventure and Adventurers Description

He attended Smithville Seminary as well as the Biblical School at Whitestown, New York. In 1850 he became principal for a year of Geauga seminary, Chester County, Ohio. The same year he became one of the editors of The Morning Star and moved back to Rhode Island to become a successor to Martin Cheney. In December 1852, he published the biography of Martin Cheney. After becoming the pastor of the Olneyville church he added nearly 300 to the Sunday school in his first year. He was very active in the establishing of The Free Will Baptist Quarterly In Rhode Island and was made one of the editorial Council of five. After the editor, Rev. D, M. Graham, he was the principal working force substainer of that publication for many years. After resigning the Olneyville church, he received a call from the Roger Williams church, Providence, and after six months of vacation, he returned to that church giving the best years of his life. In 1866, he attended the General Baptist Association in England as a delegate from the General Conference of Free Will Baptist. After the death of William Burr, the board of the printing establishment were united in asking the Roger Williams church to release him to become editor of the denominational publication. Twice he reluctantly refused the presidency of Hillsdale College in Michigan and was a part of the moving of The Morning Star to Boston. It was in 1875 that his last editorial appeared shortly after the General Conference had been held at the Roger Williams church. He was buried at the same way Cemetery in Cranston, Rhode Island, close to the remains of Martin Cheney. The discourse at his funeral was delivered by the Rev. J. H. Brewster. His biography was ably written by Rev. W. H. Bowen.