University of South Florida Textbooks > Medical and Social Aspects of Alcohol Abuse

Medical and Social Aspects of Alcohol Abuse

Publisher:Springer

Author:Boris Tabakoff

Renting Options Buying Options

Medical and Social Aspects of Alcohol Abuse Description

Alcohol use affects, either directly or indirectly, nearly all facets of Western civi­ lization. Eastern cultures are also not exempt from the influence of alcohol, and the present decade has been a time of increased alcohol use in all parts of the world. The problems of alcohol abuse and alcoholism are of concern to a variety of professionals in the biomedical and psychosocial health sciences, and-although the alcohol research literature contains much information on the relationships between alcohol ingestion and physiological, neurochemical, pharmacologic, genetic, environmental, and psychological effects in humans and in subhuman spe­ cies-there is at the present time no advanced textbook that integrates the avail­ able information for use by both students and professionals. The writing of Medical and Social Aspects of Alcohol Abuse constitutes an attempt to create a scholarly reference and resource for students, researchers, prac­ ticing clinicians, and paraprofessionals who wish to understand the complex inter­ play of factors related to acute and chronic alcohol intoxication, the effects of alco­ hol on body functions, and treatment approaches to alcohol abusers and alcoholics.