University of South Florida Textbooks > Models of Mental Health

Models of Mental Health 1th edition

Publisher:Palgrave Macmillan

Authors:Gavin Davidson, Jim Campbell, Ciarán Shannon, Ciaran Mulholland

Renting Options Buying Options

Models of Mental Health Description

A good understanding of the different theoretical models is essential when working in the field of mental health. Not only does it help with understanding experiences of mental health difficulties and to find meaning, but it also provides a framework for expanding our knowledge of the field.

As part of the Foundations of Mental Health Practice series, this book provides a critical overview of the theoretical perspectives relevant to mental health practice. At the core of this book is the idea that no single theory is comprehensive on its own and each theory has its limitations. Divided in to two parts, Part I explores traditional models of mental health and covers the key areas: bio-medical perspectives, psychological perspectives and social perspectives, whilst Part II looks at contemporary ideas that challenge and push these traditional views. The contributions, strengths and limitations of each model are explored and, as a result, the book encourages a more holistic, open approach to understanding and responding to mental health issues.

Together, these different approaches offer students and practitioners a powerful set of perspectives from which to approach their study and careers. Each model is covered in a clear and structured way with supporting exercises and case studies. It is an essential text for anyone studying or practising in the field of mental health, including social workers, nurses and psychologists.