University of South Florida Textbooks > Teaching Mathematics to Students with Learning Disabilities

Teaching Mathematics to Students with Learning Disabilities 4th edition

Publisher:PRO-ED, Incorporated

Authors:Nancy S. Bley, Carol A. Thornton

Buying Options Renting Options

Teaching Mathematics to Students with Learning Disabilities Description

The fourth of edition of Teaching Mathematics to Students with Learning Disabilities, like previous editions, is aimed at helping teachers in regular and special education settings adapt the Mathematics curriculum to meet the needs of students Learning Disabilities. The book reflects and incorporates the ongoing changes in the world of Mathematics. Material in this newest edition continues to emphasize problem solving and real world applications and also incorporates some of the changes presented in the most recent edition of Principles and Standards of School Mathematics (published by NCTM). It is intended to be an adjunct to material used in a variety of school Mathematics texts and provides a number of ways to individualize instruction and practice. To this end, specific techniques, examples and carefully sequenced activities have been included, and in many cases, updated to address the expanded availability and use of technology. The material has also been reorganized to more clearly address some of the sequences described throughout the book. The chapter on technology now includes an appendix listing commercial and shareware programs that can be adapted and used with students who have Learning Disabilities, and publisher and Internet addresses. Other topics include time and money; concepts and computation involving whole numbers, rational numbers and percentages; and some hard-to-learn upper grade topics such as ratio, proportion, integers, exponents, and scientific notation.