University of South Florida Textbooks > Counseling Boys and Young Men

Counseling Boys and Young Men 1th edition

Publisher:Springer Publishing Company, Incorporated

Authors:Suzanne Degges-White, Bonnie Colon, Bonnie R. Colon

Renting Options Buying Options

Counseling Boys and Young Men Description

Counseling Boys and Young Men provides a plethora of information and counseling techniques essential to the continued development of young men....The text serves as a noteworthy manual addressing the myriad of issues affecting young males in today's society."--The Professional Counselor Journal

This comprehensive guide to the unique challenges faced by boys and young men encompasses today's most critical issues and presents effective, evidence-based strategies for treating them. Recognizing the specific needs of diverse young males, this text covers such contemporary issues as bullying and harassment, anger management, online gaming, addiction, pornography, and gang membership. The differences between the developmental issues of males and females are addressed, along with the emotional, intellectual, and physical changes boys experience as they move into adolescence. The difficulties counselors face in their efforts to access emotional expression in boys are discussed along with strategies to overcome these barriers.

Each chapter includes a comprehensive case scenario that highlights the presenting issue, how the issue affects functioning, and how effective treatment is best implemented. Additional resources for more in-depth study are also included throughout the book.

Key Features:

• Provides guidance to the unique psychological issues of boys and young men along with innovative, evidence-based treatment strategies
  • Addresses such current topics as bullying/harassment, risk-taking behaviors, pornography addiction, gambling, single-parent families, and more
  • Includes vivid case studies
  • Explores such social issues as gang membership with a focus on helping young males revise their self-image and social networks