University of South Florida Textbooks > The Film Anthologies Index

The Film Anthologies Index

Publisher:Scarecrow Press, Incorporated

Author:Stephen E. Bowles

Renting Options Buying Options

The Film Anthologies Index Description

The Film Anthologies Index is a bibliographical resource essential to any person or institution interested in the study of film. No publication or database currently indexes the contents of these important anthologies.

There are over 600 anthologies (by both multiple and single authors) in English that have been published through 1991. These anthologies contain over 10,000 stand-alone pieces that (1) reprint articles from their original source, (2) select exceerpts from book-length publications, and (3) include original essays appearing only in a specialized anthology. Without The Film Anthologies Index, the researcher would have no guide to the valuable contents between the covers of these anthologies.

Much more than just a guide to the contents of anthologies, the main section consists of 6,563 numbered entries that alphabetically list by author the contents of each piece found in the anthologies. (You could find, for example, all pieces written by a particular author which have appeared in the anthologies.) Additionally, every author entry refers the user to all the anthologized sources which contain each specific piece. (For example, Robert Warshow's landmark essay on "Movie Chronicle: The Westerner" can be found in 9 different anthologies or that selected essays by Sergei Einstein appear in over 50 separate anthologies.) Without The Film Anthologies Index there would be no way to systematically locate these buried treasures.

The final section of The Film Anthologies Index consists of an extensive listing of all film titles, individual names, specific genres, countries, periods, studios, etc. as well as all key words and phrases that appear in the titles of the included pieces There are approximately 7000 topics covered in this section.

The user-friendly layout of this reference source makes it both a comprehensive resource for everyone from the casual movie-goer who wants a deeper understanding of the medium to the dedicated film scholar who is pursuing material on