University of South Florida Textbooks > The Administration and Supervision of Reading Programs

The Administration and Supervision of Reading Programs 5th edition

Publisher:Teachers College Press, Teachers College, Columbia University

Authors:Shelley B. Wepner, Shelley B Wepner, Dorothy S. Strickland, Diana J. Quatroche, Jack Cassidy

Renting Options Buying Options

The Administration and Supervision of Reading Programs Description

''Only the most valuable of academic texts gets to a fifth edition...If I were to do a column 'What's Hot in Literacy/Reading Texts,' this volume would undoubtedly be at the top of the list.''
--From the Foreword by Jack Cassidy, past president, International Reading Association

''This fifth edition is a timely and most welcome addition to my professional library. This book is a 'must' in a time when it is essential for literacy leaders to keep up with the fast pace of what is happening in the field of reading. Wepner, Strickland, and Quatroche are exceptional educators and researchers who bring together some of the leading literacy experts to address issues that are so critical in this age of common core state standards. This is a 'must-have' book for anyone involved in overseeing literacy programs at school, district, and state levels.''
--Linda Gambrell, Distinguished Professor of Education, Clemson University and co-editor of Reading Research Quarterly

Now in its fifth edition, this popular textbook is still the most comprehensive resource available on the oversight of literacy programs (pre-K-12). Focusing on what literacy leaders need to know and do to meet today's mandates, experts in the field offer new insights that reflect the nation's changing policies related to the new Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts and Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects. It also addresses forthcoming assessments aligned to the common core standards, and new mandates for evaluating teachers and principals. Literacy luminaries provide specific guidelines for all levels of instruction, including selecting and using materials and new technologies, promoting writing, assessing students, evaluating teachers, providing professional development, working with linguistically diverse and struggling learners, working with parents and the community, and evaluating school-wide literacy programs.

Book Features:
* Chapters written by experts who have years of experience working in schools.
* Real-life examples that demonstrate how theories have been applied.
* Reflective questions and project assignments in each chapter allow readers to relate ideas to their own situations.
* Connections across chapters and directions for future considerations help summarize and synthesize information.

Contributors: Moises Aguirre, Kathryn H. Au, Rita M. Bean, M. Susan Burns, Jill Castek, Patricia A. Edwards, Douglas Fisher, Elena Forzani, Nancy Frey, Jennifer L. Goeke, James V. Hoffman, Barbara Kapinus, Clint Kennedy, Julie K. Kidd, Diane Lapp, Donald J. Leu, Maryann Mraz, Jeanne R. Paratore, Taffy E. Raphael, Kristen D. Ritchey, Adrian Rodgers, Emily M. Rodgers, Misty Sailors, Elizabeth V. Strode, Jacquelyn S. Sweeney, Jo Anne L. Vacca, Richard T. Vacca, Jaime Madison Vasquez, Jean Payne Vintinner, MaryEllen Vogt