University of South Florida Textbooks > Social Issues in Sport

Social Issues in Sport 2th edition

Publisher:Human Kinetics

Authors:Ron Woods, Ronald B. Woods

Buying Options Renting Options

Social Issues in Sport Description

Social Issues in Sport, Second Edition, is an outstanding introduction to the multifaceted roles of sport and physical activity in society and the perfect tool for examining sport from a critical perspective. The text’s engaging writing style, full-color format, and sound learning tools make it accessible and get students involved in and excited about the material. A full array of instructor resources and a variety of learning activities in each chapter make this book a highly functional and enjoyable way for instructors to introduce this subject to their students.

This edition continues to engage students with real-world examples, connecting theory with the sports they view and participate in. Following are new and updated features:

•A new chapter on the emerging area of sport and development, which describes how sport may be used to promote peace, socialization, and moral development

•Expanded discussions of deviance in sport and social media phenomena that have become intertwined with the world of sport

•Updated sidebars, including an increased number of Expert's View sidebars to help students take a theory-to-practice mind-set to their studies

•The latest research in the field with current examples and statistics

While the book is solidly grounded in research, it does not dwell on theory. Social Issues in Sport, Second Edition, provides a deeper look at the issues, contradictions, and confusion surrounding sport for students in sport management, sport sociology, or other areas of sport studies. Students will find heavy emphasis on areas that other texts often overlook—including the role of coaches, importance of lifetime sport and fitness, and sport for special populations such as the physically and mentally challenged and the elderly. As a result, students gain a complete view of what constitutes sport and physical activity and a firm grasp of the sociocultural considerations vital to their understanding of sport.