University of South Florida Textbooks > Women's Health and Fitness Guide

Women's Health and Fitness Guide 1th edition

Publisher:Human Kinetics Publishers

Authors:Michele Kettles, Brenda S. Wright, Colette L. Cole

Buying Options Renting Options

Women's Health and Fitness Guide Description

Women's Health and Fitness Guide provides a novel approach to addressing the health and fitness needs of women. The authors developed a research-based program that describes how and why gender and stage of life are important factors to consider when designing an exercise program. Whether the professional is addressing the adolescent, pregnant, menopausal, or senior woman, this book provides answers to program design questions. The emphasis on functional fitness and the inclusion of an up-to-date review of cardiovascular, strength, and flexibility research make this text both comprehensive and timely.

Women's Health and Fitness Guide is a practical text organized in a straightforward manner, progressing from research to practice. The authors begin by focusing on the unique anatomic, physiologic, and psychosocial characteristics of women. They explore gender-specific research regarding exercise and disease prevention and detail the specific health risks that women face, translating them into distinct approaches to preventing and managing disease. The authors then present a life-stage approach to physical activity and fitness, ranging from adolescence and pregnancy to menopause and the senior years, with a focus on the physical, mental, emotional, and social challenges women are likely to face during each transitional period. Short- and long-term goals are identified for each life stage that can be used as starting points for developing and promoting effective fitness programs.

Various exercise prescriptions for women—including aerobic exercise, strength training, and flexibility—are then presented. Though these components are common, the authors' approach to them is not. They provide a sound rationale and advice for rethinking traditional exercise in favor of functional and integrated exercises that will help women perform the tasks and activities of daily life. The authors take readers step by step through the process of designing an individualized training program, leading to a safe, effective, and enjoyable program that meets each woman's specific needs. Prevention of common injuries is also discussed, with special attention to anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries.

The book is concise, relevant, and filled with current data on women's health and fitness research, laying the foundation for the research-based recommendations it provides. Enhanced with sidebars that provide readers with summaries of key findings and recommendations that are discussed in more detail in the text, the text is also complemented by numerous photos, figures, and tables to reinforce the authors' recommendations. It also has a detailed glossary to aid readers, and it provides training tools and handouts to be used by health and fitness professionals in their work with female clients.

Women's Health and Fitness Guide will help health and fitness professionals sort through the hearsay, testimonials, and observations they are bombarded with each day and provide clear, appropriate recommendations on fitness and activity to women in all stages of life.