University of South Florida Textbooks > The Shaping of American Higher Education

The Shaping of American Higher Education 2th edition

Authors:Arthur M. Cohen, Carrie B. Kisker

Renting Options Buying Options

The Shaping of American Higher Education Description

When the first edition of The Shaping of American Higher Education was published it was lauded for its historical perspective and in-depth coverage of current events that provided an authoritative, comprehensive account of the history of higher education in the United States. As in the first edition, this book tracks trends and important issues in eight key areas: student access, faculty professionalization, curricular expansion, institutional growth, governance, finance, research, and outcomes. Thoroughly revised and updated, the volume is filled with critical new data; recent information from specialized sources on faculty, student admissions, and management practices; and an entirely new section that explores privatization, corporatization, and accountability from the mid-1990s to the present. This second edition also includes end-of-chapter questions for guidance, reflection, and study.

"Cohen and Kisker do the nation's colleges and universities a much needed service by authoring this volume. The highly regarded histories of American higher education have become badly dated. They ignore the last quarter century when American higher education was transformed. This volume provides comprehensive information on that era."
— Art Levine, president, Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation, and author,

When Hope and Fear Collide: A Portrait of Today's College Student

"The second edition of The Shaping of American Higher Education is a treasure trove of information and insight. Cohen and Kisker provide us with astute and straightforward analysis and commentary on our past, present, and likely future. This book is invaluable to those seeking to go to the heart of the issues and challenges confronting higher education."
— Judith S. Eaton, president, Council for Higher Education Accreditation

"Arthur Cohen and his collaborator have now updated his superb history of American higher education. It remains masterful, authoritative, comprehensive, and incisive, and guarantees that this work will stand as the classic required resource for all who want to understand where higher education came from and where it is going. The new material gives a wise and nuanced perspective on the current crisis-driven transformations of the higher education industry."
— John Lombardi, president, Louisiana State University System

"The Shaping of American Higher Education is distinguished by its systematic approach, comprehensive coverage, and extensive treatment of the modern era, including the first years of the twenty-first century. In this second edition, Arthur Cohen and Carrie Kisker are especially adept at bringing historical perspective and a balanced viewpoint to controversial issues of the current era."
— Roger L. Geiger, distinguished professor, The Pennsylvania State University, and author, Knowledge and Money