University of South Florida Textbooks > Assessment of Young Children with Special Needs

Assessment of Young Children with Special Needs 2th edition

Publisher:Routledge

Authors:Susan M. Benner, Joan Grim

Renting Options Buying Options

Assessment of Young Children with Special Needs Description

Assessment of Young Children with Special Needs, Second Edition helps prepare teachers for the task of evaluating the skills of infants, toddlers, and preschool children with developmental delays and those considered at risk to experience developmental delays or difficulties.

A child’s environment is a critical consideration when focusing on assessment, and authors Susan Benner and Joan Grim explore the important issues of family resources, health, multidimensional environmental influences, economic deprivation, and domestic violence on infant and child development. This textbook conveys a sense of respect for parents, the powerful influence assessment results can and do have in the lives of young children with special needs, and an understanding of the complexity of child development, progression, and measurement. This book sets the tone for important values and beliefs to honor throughout one’s professional life.

This fully revised edition addresses recent legislation, updated versions of assessment, and the newest assessment tools that teachers will come across. The popular full-length case studies of the first edition have been updated, and vignettes of other cases are fully integrated across chapters, bringing the text alive with meaning. Assessment of Young Children with Special Needs, Second Edition now includes expanded discussion on progress monitoring and response to intervention, functional behavioral analysis, pros and cons of norm-referenced testing, web-based gathering tools, ELL students, and screening for autism.