Writing for the Web 1th edition

Publisher:New Riders

Author:Lynda Felder

Buying Options Renting Options

Writing for the Web Description

With Writing for the Web, you’ll learn everything you need to know to create effective Web content using words, pictures, and sound. Follow along as instructor and writer Lynda Felder combines easy-to-follow guidelines with photographs, lists, and tables to illustrate the key concepts behind writing nonlinear, interactive stories; creating succinct and clear copy; and working compelling images, motion graphics, and sound into your content.

Many books offer instruction on how to use software programs to build Web sites, podcasts, and illustrations. But only Writing for the Web explains when and why an author might choose an illustration over a photograph, motion graphics over text, or a slice of Beethoven’s Fifth over the sound of a bubbling brook. Focusing on storytelling techniques that work best for digital media, this book describes the essential skills and tools in a Web author’s toolbox, including a thorough understanding of grammar and style, a critical eye for photography, and an ear for just the right sound byte for a podcast.

This clearly written guide provides a fun and practical approach to Web writing that busy students and writers will be eager to learn and explore.
  • Uses concise, straight-to-the-point style to illustrate techniques for writing sharp and focused Web copy, coupled with compelling visuals and sound
  • Focuses on writing practices and guidelines, with exercises and prompts developed and tested by the author
  • Features clear design, with plenty of pictures and visual elements, and a friendly and knowledgeable voice
Take your learning even further with Lynda's companion book: The Web Writer's Toolkit: 365 prompts, collaborative exercises, games, and challenges for effective online content.

For more tips, exercises, and suggestions for teachers, check out the book’s Web site at www.write4web.com.