Mandated Health Care

Publisher:Greenwood

Author:Donald L. Westerfield

Buying Options Renting Options

Mandated Health Care Description

As medical insurance costs continue to increase, so do the numbers of Americans who carry no health insurance. This situation, exacerbated by federal budgetary pressures, has stepped up the conflict among all those who have a stake in health benefits: the government, employers, insurers, health providers, and citizens who need affordable health care. Westerfield examines the dilemmas behind the conflict over mandated health care, the strategies employed, and the costs--both social and economic--that must ultimately be borne.

In Part I, the author looks at the impact of existing health care legislation and the vigorously debated issues surrounding the allocation of benefits to specific groups or for specific needs. Part II focuses on the conflicting goals of those who must pay for health care, those who provide it, and those who receive it. The final part begins by addressing major areas of health care, such as AIDS, chemical dependency, child care, and mental health care. Describing the strategies and counterstrategies in the struggle over benefits and costs, the author stresses that it is those most in need--the underclass and the underemployed--who are in danger of becoming the ultimate losers in the battle. This book clarifies and brings a constructive perspective to bear on an issue of concern to a large professional audience as well as to special interest groups representing health care consumers.