University of South Florida Textbooks > The Business of Media Distribution

The Business of Media Distribution 2th edition

Publisher:Focal Press

Authors:Jeff Ulin, Jeffrey C. Ulin

Buying Options Renting Options

The Business of Media Distribution Description

Learn how an idea moves from concept to profits and how distribution dominates the bottom line of an industry otherwise grounded in high profile elements (production, creative, law, finance, and marketing).

In this updated edition of a bestselling industry staple, experienced media executive Jeff Ulin relates business theory and practice across key global market segments―film, television, video, and online/digital―providing you with an insider’s perspective that can't be found anywhere else. This new edition:

• Includes perspectives from key industry executives at studios, networks and online leaders, including Fox, Paramount, Lucasfilm, USA Network, BSkyB, YouTube, Hulu, Microsoft and many more
    • Analyzes online influences throughout the distribution chain and explains the impact made by the growth of apps, tablets, smart-phones, social media, social gaming, and over-the-top delivery
    • Discusses the growth of Digital Cinema and the related distribution of 3D movies.
    • Explores changes in the home video business and growth of on-demand (VOD) and on-the-go access to content
    • Illustrates how online services like Netflix, Amazon, YouTube and Hulu are changing the way TV content is distributed and consumed, and why they are producing their own original series
    • Breaks down historical film windows, the economic drivers behind them, and how online and digital delivery applications are changing the landscape.
    • Features a companion website (www.focalpress.com/9780240824239), which includes additional material demystifying how projects are developed and profits calculated

Hollywood stars may make the headlines, but marketing and distribution are the behind the scenes drivers converting content into cash. Regardless of your background and training, The Business of Media Distribution, Second Edition delivers the business practices and virtual apprenticeship you need to understand and manage the complicated media markets and how digital distribution is impacting traditional methods.