University of South Florida Textbooks > Constructive Guidance And Discipline

Constructive Guidance And Discipline 5th edition

Publisher:Pearson

Authors:Marjorie V. Fields, Marjorie Vannoy Fields, Nancy Perry, Nancy P. Perry, Nancy J. Perry, Debby Fields, Debby M. Fields, Deborah M. Fields, Constance Kamii

Buying Options Renting Options

Constructive Guidance And Discipline Description

Shows how children can learn personal responsibility and judge right and wrong for themselves. 

With a strong emphasis on developmental theory and constructivism, Constructive Guidance and Discipline: Preschool and Primary Education explains underlying causes for child behavior, weaves numerous preschool and primary classroom examples throughout, and includes three chapters on guiding children with special needs.  This book more clearly links guidance techniques to the causes of behavior than any other on the market and provides a clear discussion of childhood development and developmentally appropriate practices. 

Features  
  • Addresses common childhood behavior problems and links each cause to a specific guidance approach that is explained and described.
  • Uses vignettes and examples of guidance and discipline issues throughout the book and helps students understand the research and theory base behind them.
  • Concludes each chapter with For Further Thought activities and Recommended readings that provide useful classroom activities and appropriate problem solving practices for students. 

New to this Edition  

• MyEducationLab has assignable online video-based exercises and refers students to the site via margin notes
  • Completely revised chapter on Vulnerable Children (Chapter 14) deals with how poverty, violence, loss, and other risk factors affect children’s social emotional development.
  • Provides a new section on the use of early learning guidelines to promote social emotional development (Chapter 15.)
  • Offers an expanded section on design of the physical environment (Chapter 4.)
  • Expands the discussion of observation for discovering the cause of behavior problems and helps students apply the principle of focusing on the causes of behavior problems.  

New for the Instructor  

• Expanded Instructor’s Manual offers overviews of each chapter, suggestions for in-class activities to increase students’ understanding of concepts, as well as test banks and course management with a variety of assessment types.
  • PowerPoint slides highlight important concepts in each chapter.