University of South Florida Textbooks > Product Design and Development

Product Design and Development 6th edition

Publisher:McGraw-Hill Higher Education

Authors:Ulrich, Karl Ulrich, Eppinger, Steven Eppinger

Renting Options Buying Options

Product Design and Development Description

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 10.1px 'Times New Roman'}p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 10.1px 'Times New Roman'; min-height: 11.0px} New Features Updated examples and data, new insights from recent research and innovations in practice, and revisions incorporated throughout the book. New examples - New chapter examples bring relevant issues to students for analysis and discussion. These updated examples include major products such as: Belle-V ice cream scoop, AvaTech avalanche probe, iRobot Roomba vacuum cleaner, Tesla Model S automobile, Boeing 787 aircraft, Nespresso coffee makers, and more. Retained Features Modular format, a series of nearly independent chapters that permits total flexibility by users. Interdisciplinary or cross-functional approach, which reflects the business world today where product design and development are the result of cross-functional teams. Professors that offer a project-based course will find this text ideal because of the structured, step-by-step design and development methods in each chapter. The chapter on Robust Design (also called the Taguchi method) explains the techniques for design of experiments that minimizes the effects of variations on product performance. The chapter on patents and intellectual property explains what is patentable, how the patenting process works, licensing issues, and the many types of intellectual property. The book's website is written and maintained by the text authors themselves, and includes up-to-date web links, teaching notes, PowerPoint presentations, video clips, and syllabi from instructors currently teaching from the book. This book employs detailed industrial examples to illustrate the key ideas. Each chapter features a different product to offer a variety of product types and