Student group hosts Israel-Palestine game show

Published: Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Updated: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 01:11

Student organizations competed for $1,000 to be donated toward the charity of their choice in a game-show style competition called Battle of the Bulls, sponsored by the Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP).

Seven teams of three kept buzzers ready in front of an audience of about 60 in the Marshall Student Center Oval Theater on Monday.

Participating organizations included Sigma Phi Epsilon, Delta Gamma, alpha Kappa Delta Phi, Global Medical Brigades, Pi Delta Psi, Phi Sigma Pi and Students for a Democratic Society. 

The students played a “Jeopardy!”-style game in which trivia questions about Palestinian culture, geography and history were asked of participants.

The majority of the questions referenced the Israel-Palestinian conflict and focused on the Israeli occupation of Palestinian land, “snatching” Palestinian children from their beds and “massacring” Palestinians on sacred Muslim ground.

“This is the primary motorway that links Jerusalem and the West Bank. Palestinians are forbidden to use it, and only Jews can use this road,” one question slide said.

“These are a type of poisons that Israeli settlers put in Palestinian water supplies to make them undrinkable,” another question slide said.

A few questions referenced perceived Israeli racism. 

The contestants were asked what the Jewish derogatory term for “African” was. They were later asked to repeat the slur, when asked what Israelites called President Barack Obama. 

Karim Hussein, a student majoring in chemistry who was sitting in the audience, said the racist allegations against Israel seemed out of place.

“It was a weird question,” he said.

The teams were also awarded points for answering questions about the relationship between Israel and the U.S. 

Ahmad Saadaldin, the president of SJP and a senior majoring in public relations, said the group hopes to raise awareness of the Israeli occupation of Palestine. 

He said the organization would like to see Israel leave Palestinian territory.

“We want to see an end to the occupation,” he said. “We’d like to see the West Bank free of the checkpoints, the separation walls.”

Saadaldin said he hoped the game-show style would be an entertaining method of informing both the students and the contestants.

“We figured Battle of the Bulls with a $1,000 cash prize to the charity of their choice would really encourage them,” he said. “They were motivated by the drive to support their own
charity.”

Students for a Democratic Society, the winning student organization, originally planned to donate to the relief of the Philippines, a country recently devastated by Typhoon Haiyan, Gage Lacharite, a representative of Students for a Democratic Society, said. The group will be donating the $1,000 to a Palestinian refugee aid instead — a charity recommended by SJP. 

“I just really hope it will help the Palestinian people it’s going to and that very soon the apartheid in Israel will fall,” Lacharite said.

Daniel Spencer, a representative of the Global Medical Brigades, said SJP prepared the contestants for the questions beforehand with a video and two articles that contained the answers to their questions.

“It’s over in the Middle East, so not many people have heard about it,” he said. “It’s the first time I’ve heard about it, honestly.”

12 comments

Anonymous
Thu Nov 21 2013 19:59
In regards to the second comment: The Israelite who called Obama that happened to be a high religious official once I looked into that. I attended the event and later researched it and I found that the information presented was actually true. I do not think it matters you were offended by this event, it is their right to hold it under the law and as Americans. Labeling it Anti-Semitic without actually having proof that the event was is quite narrow minded and I highly doubt you actually attended the event. This event did not focus on religion, but rather the ongoing human rights violations within the Palestinian territories and the racism that occurs towards the Palestinians who live in Gaza/West Bank and those who are Israeli citizens. I do not think people should be so self-important to the point where they feel personally offended by an event that had nothing to do with them or any Jewish students on campus. If you believe in blocking certain groups for making statements that are factually accurate or just stopping groups from having the freedom of speech, then that would mean we would have to block almost every student organization from having any sort of access to resources on campus. If it was Anti-Semitic then the event would have been geared exclusively towards Jewish people, which it was not. Taking one question and generalizing the whole event is terrible and illogical assumption to make. USF should be a welcoming environment and using Anti-Semitism as an excuse to stop someone from freely expressing themselves within the confines of the law is a terrible thing to do. You should be ashamed of yourself.

In regards to the third comment: SJP followed all university and SG laws and policies. Banning them from campus would be against SG and university policy, not to mention a matter of a 1st amendment issue.

In regards to the fourth comment: You should be ashamed of yourself for your racist and out of place comment. The world is getting more diverse, get over it.

Anonymous
Thu Nov 21 2013 16:50
I don't think so... if this event was Anti-Semitic, then the majority, if not all, of the game would have been geared towards accusing Jews, specifically. The questions showed more protest against the Israeli state's occupation than it did against Judaism. It just so happens that Israel has a Jewish majority, so taking these questions as Anti Semitic is no better than assuming all the bad news we hear coming from Pakistan is linked to Islam. Taking one question out of dozens from context and generalizing the whole event as an attack on an entire religion is not logical at all.
Mehmet Aljuhainy
Thu Nov 21 2013 16:22
The Jeopardy question was, "This is the Chief Rabbi of Hebron who called Obama a 'k----' in 2011 and called Arabs "evil camel riders". He gave religious ruling prohibiting Jews to rent/sell lands to Arabs."

Answer: Dov Lior.

The reference is here: http://www.jpost.com/National-News/Rabbi-Lior-compares-Obama-to-villain-Haman

The sad thing is how badly the Oracle misreported, which is the cause of this misunderstanding. The racism in Israel's population is well-documented. If you are uninformed, take a good read of Max Blumenthal's New York Time bestselling books and learn about the pervasive racism that exists in Israel. In fact, according to a Tel Aviv University polling, 52% of Israelis view Africans as a "cancer in the body" of the nation.

Reference: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_now/2012/06/poll-jewish-israelis-african-migrants.html

So learn the facts.

Anonymous
Thu Nov 21 2013 13:49
"Muslim support at Jihad University"

speechless.

How is hosting a game show with documented facts about an ongoing occupation "anti-Semitic nonsense" and make people "feel uncomfortable to practice their religion without bigotry"? Stop hiding behind your bias and address the facts for what they are.

it is important to note that Zionism breeds racism in Israel and affects the lives of so many. Segregation and oppression occurs daily in Israel and has nothing to do with the Jewish or Muslim faith. It is Zionism that justifies these oppressive policies and has you so afraid to hear about it or confront it.

No one feels comfortable around someone who justifies occupation

Anonymous
Thu Nov 21 2013 12:31
As a Jewish Alum who is currently living in Israel, I am utterly disgusted by this event. This organization needs to be dissolved immediately. USF should be a place where people feel comfortable to share their beliefs, but this is pushing your beliefs on others which is never right.
Anonymous
Thu Nov 21 2013 12:23
This is the new America. Savage cult religions can have free reign under the protection of the university.
Anonymous
Wed Nov 20 2013 22:31
For those who participated and were given the questions/answers previously, did you research the questions and answers on your own? I think you should... and I also think you'll be surprised with what you find!
Anonymous
Wed Nov 20 2013 22:28
For those who participated and were given the questions/answers previously, did you research the questions and answers on your own? I think you should... and I also think you'll be surprised!
Anonymous
Wed Nov 20 2013 18:00
"The contestants were asked what the Jewish derogatory term for 'African' was. They were later asked to repeat the slur, when asked what Israelites called President Barack Obama."

I am personally offended by the events that were allowed to occur on USF campus. This Anti-Semitic nonsense should not be allowed on a campus where all should feel comfortable and free to practice their religion without bigotry. The fact that this occurred on campus, with USF student groups, really serves to tarnish the reputation of the University. As a Jewish student who has never uttered a 'Jewish' derogatory term for Africans, and has no idea what this term might even be, I feel that these questions were made to ostracize Jewish USF students, rather than bring any form of meaningful discussion to the complicated matters of the Middle East. USF should not allow rooms to be reserved for such causes and the groups who hosted this event to rile up Anti-Semitism should be dissolved. USF is known to be a welcoming and open environment to all, we should not let our fellow students ruin this positive environment for all of us.

Anonymous
Wed Nov 20 2013 17:58

Anonymous
Wed Nov 20 2013 02:23
The proper documentation should be filed. SJP has crossed the line time and time again, I think it's about time they are banned from campus.
Anonymous
Tue Nov 19 2013 02:31
Just more muslim support at Jihad University