Summer News

Around the World

Opinion

• Why no one can escape being called shallow

With ABC News program Nightline testing the amount of obnoxious behavior people are willing to tolerate from others based on their “good looks,” or a study by the scientific journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences finding that attractive men are more likely to receive funding for their start-up businesses, it is clear physical appearance remains a central factor when judging others. 

• Let us take a #selfie

As seniors graduate and walk across the stage next week to shake USF President Judy Genshaft’s hand, many will undoubtedly want to stop and appreciate the moment by taking a selfie with their phones.

• Make room for e-books on digital bookshelf

Whether reading them on tablets, laptops, or even cell phones, electronic books (e-books) have been on the rise in recent years.

• Unpaid interns’ rights should be recognized nationally

Unpaid internships have been slowly moving out of shadows in recent years, as seen with a new law that opened the door to unpaid interns’ rights. However, the unpaid internship system has not quite finished improving.

• Students juggle work, school in broken system

While there is nothing new about working while in college, a recently published study by a Michigan State University graduate student revealed students must now work more in order to meet the same demands as students 30 years ago. 

• Students deserve more say in UPenn’s mental health care

The Counseling Center at USF, which offers psychological services and workshops for students, and Wellness Education, a department of Wellness USF, provide mental health resources for USF students.  

• Campus safety should factor into college rankings

When potential students are considering which college is the right choice for them, they may research a school’s graduation rates or financial resources — facts typically calculated in traditional college rankings in
    the U.S. 

Montage