USF rallies past Seton Hall

Published: Thursday, January 26, 2012

Updated: Thursday, January 26, 2012 02:01

The USF women's basketball team rallied in the second half Wednesday, erasing a 12-point deficit against Seton Hall and winning 57-45 in the Campus Recreation Center.

With the win, USF (12-9, 4-3) sweeps the season series with Seton Hall and matches its win total from last season. The win moved USF to 6-2 at home on the season.

"With our record, we can't afford to lose any more home games," coach Jose Fernandez said. "We have to protect our home."

The Bulls trailed by five at the break, and a 9-2 Seton Hall run to start the second half left the Bulls trailing by

12 with 15:52 remaining in the game. It was at that point that the defense intensified and the shooters began finding the basket. USF ripped off a 22-3 run over the next 9:41 to take firm control of the game.

Seton Hall led throughout the first half, taking an imposing 14-9 lead early as the Bulls struggled to find their shooting groove, hitting only 20 percent of their field goals in the first half. USF's poor shooting extended outside the 3-point arc as well, where the Bulls went 1-of-14 on the night.

Though Seton Hall managed to outrebound the Bulls 37-36, USF had no trouble taking the ball from the Pirate

offense, tallying 16 steals, five of which came from senior guard Jasmine Wynne.

Wynne's hustle to the ball on defense was only matched by her play on offense, where she scored 19 points to lead all scorers. It was her 17th consecutive double-figure scoring night.

"It was a tough one," Wynne said. "We already knew they were going to come out to play because we beat them

last time at their home. We didn't come out of the locker room with energy, but when we were down by 12, the light really came on. It shouldn't be like that, but it came on."

After a three-game homestand, USF now has to hit the road for a difficult trip to No. 3 Connecticut on Saturday. Tipoff is scheduled for 1 p.m.