USF preparing for late season run

Published: Thursday, October 25, 2012

Updated: Thursday, October 25, 2012 08:10

With only five conference games remaining until the Big East tournament, the pressure on the USF volleyball team is mounting.

The Bulls (5-5) are in seventh place, with the top eight teams advancing to the conference tournament. Seeds five and six are tied at six wins each.

Coach Courtney Draper said while it’s tempting to monitor other teams in the conference, she wants to make sure her team has the proper mindset as it faces DePaul (2-7) on Fri- day night.

“For us, it’s one match at a time,” she said. “DePaul’s re- cord isn’t good but we cannot overlook them for a second. They are taking the best teams in our conference to four or five sets.”

The Bulls will play Notre Dame (8-1) on Sunday in the second game of what could be the most important weekend series this season.

The Fighting Irish rank in the top five in the conference in hitting, kills and assists, but the Bulls have shown an of- fensive prowess recently that could match up well with Notre Dame’s defense.

In last weekend’s matches, Draper said the Bulls passed very well in the four sets they had success in, and struggled in the other sets where they did not pass well.

“It doesn’t matter if it’s 10-year-olds, 20-year-olds or professionals. When you pass and serve well, you will be successful,” Draper said. “So we’re working on that a lot in practice.”

The team will be on the road during homecoming weekend. Draper said she sees it as more of a gained opportunity than a missed one.

“The girls prioritize well,” she said. “We’re on the road during homecoming represent- ing the athletics program, so we better make the most of it.”