USF NOTEBOOK: Nevins named Player of the Year finalist

Published: Monday, May 14, 2012

Updated: Monday, May 14, 2012 01:05

Despite a tough loss in the first round of the Big East Tournament in South Bend, Ind., USF pitcher Sara Nevins has reason to celebrate. The sophomore was named as one of the top 11 finalists for the USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year award.

Nevins is one of four pitchers still in the running for the award, and her 1.05 ERA, which is fifth in the nation, is the best among the finalists. The icing on the top of Nevins’ impressive cake of a season was her three no-hitters, including back-to-back no-hitters — one of which was a perfect game — on March 10 and 11.

“There are 320 Division I teams — that’s a lot of players on each team,” said Head Coach Ken Eriksen. “And for Sara to get recognized by the national
governing body, I think says a lot about what she has done this year against the schedule she has played.”  

Basketball picks up transfer

A season after a transfer  helped lead the Bulls to their best season in school history, the men’s basketball team announced the signing of
another transfer student, Kore White, who played last season at Florida Atlantic University. White will have one season of eligibillity.

“The addition of Kore White will really bolster our front line and give us an experienced player who gave us a lot of problems playing against him at FAU the last two years,” Head Coach Stan Heath said.

The transfer of White comes a year after Victor Rudd, who transferred from Arizona State University and led the Bulls in scoring during the Big East and NCAA Tournaments.