USF loses Snyder to Texas A&M, SEC

Published: Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Updated: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 11:01

After two years in the position, USF defensive coordinator Mark Snyder has left Skip Holtz's staff to take the same position at Texas A&M under newly-hired coach Kevin Sumlin.

Snyder arrived in Tampa after a stint as head coach at Marshall University, his alma mater, and led the Bulls defense to the 39th spot nationally last season, yielding 351.3 yards per game. 

Prior to his return to Marshall, where he played linebacker and become a graduate assistant, Snyder worked at UCF, Youngstown State, Minnesota and Ohio State. Snyder and Sumlin worked on the same staff together at Minnesota in 1996 and 1997, where Snyder was defensive ends coach and Sumlin was wide receivers coach (1996) and quarterbacks coach (1997).

Snyder will help the Aggies transition to the Southeastern Conference, widely acknowledged as the best conference in the nation.

The new coordinator, once hired, will be USF's fourth in five seasons, following Wally Burnham, Joe Tresey and Snyder.

Men's basketball loses

After hanging tough for most of the first half, the men's basketball team let Notre Dame pull away Tuesday night in South Bend, Ind., losing 60-49.

With 1:10 remaining in the first half, USF trailed 26-24, but the Fighting Irish closed the half strong, taking a six-point lead into the break.

From there, Notre Dame would keep control of the game, expanding the lead with help from junior Jack Cooley's 16 points and senior Scott Martin, who finished with 15 points and 13 rebounds. USF never led the game.

USF was led by senior Augustus Gilchrist, who scored 15 points and collected five rebounds, as the Bulls fell to 9-8 overall and 2-2 in the Big East.