USF clipped by Golden Eagles

Published: Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Updated: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 02:01

ORACLE PHOTO/BOBBY BISHOP

ORACLE PHOTO/BOBBY BISHOP

Junior forward Toarlyn Fitzpatrick recorded a double-double with 19 points and 10 rebounds in the 67-47 loss.

After an impressive three-game winning streak, the USF men's basketball team was humbled in Wisconsin by No. 18 Marquette, which handed the Bulls their ninth loss on the season, eight of which have come on the road.

It appeared that the Bulls (12-9, 5-3) had finally figured out how to win on the road in the Big East, after a 16-point win over DePaul on Sunday, but playing on the road against a nationally ranked team is an entirely different monster.

The Golden Eagles (17-5, 6-2) hit back-to-back 3-pointers to take a 24-15 lead with 3:04 left in the first half. They never looked back, winning the game 67-47 — the most points that the Bulls' Big East-leading defense has given up the entire season.

Darius Johnson-Odom, with 17 points and six rebounds, and Davante Gardner, with 15 points, four rebounds and a game-high six steals, led the Golden Eagles to their fifth-consecutive Big East victory, moving their

conference record to 6-2 after a rough 1-2 start.

The Bulls were led by Toarlyn Fitzpatrick, who had a double-double with 19 points and 10 rebounds. Victor Rudd Jr. was the only other USF player in double-digits, scoring 10 points on 2-of-5 shooting. The 47 points scored by the Bulls was their lowest total since their 52-40 loss to Auburn on Dec. 14.

USF returns to action Sunday against Providence at the Tampa Bay Times Forum, and the Bulls still have an

impressive 10-1 record at home this season. The game will tip off at 2 p.m.